Tuesday 26 February 2013

52 Books - Week 8

I realise we are on week 9, but I read this last week and didn't get chance to write it up. Week 9's will follow sometime this week with any luck.

I wasn't feeling well last week so I fell back on some comfort reading - Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. My mother suggested I read this as a teenager and I loved it. I've read it again several times over the years, and whilst I enjoyed the TV adaptation for me it wasn't a patch on the book.

Its a gentle story told over several years. Its one of those which seems like its meandering slowly, but actually quite a lot happens over the story. I feel that unlike many books, its quite a life like story. It has highs and lows but they are realistic highs and lows, leaving you feeling like Cranford is an actual place and you know the people.

Plus I always wanted to live in Cranford, the town where women rule!

Book Title: Cranford

Author: Elizabeth Gaskell

Enjoyment: 10/10

Would read again: 10/10


Comments: This is a dreamy, quiet book with a realistic story. Its got some great humour in there and its really a tale of friendships and how they survive through life.



W H Smiths

No comments:

Post a Comment