Thursday 7 March 2013

52 Books - Week 10

My book for this week is a bit of a cheat really because I had to read it. I'm doing a course through the Open University - AA100 to be precise which is "The arts past and present". For part of my first assignment I had to read Doctor Faustus by Marlowe, so that's my book for this week.

Left to my own devices I probably wouldn't have read it. Reading blank verse in old fashioned English doesn't make for easy reading, but I'm glad I did.

The plot is interesting. Doctor Faustus makes a pact with the Devil to exchange his chance of going to heaven in exchange for power for twenty four years. I can't get too much into the plot here because the OU understandably doesn't want people discussing the assignment questions on line. I don't think I could discuss the plot without touching on what I wrote on the essay so this weeks description has to be brief.

Book Title: Doctor Faustus

Author: Marlowe

Enjoyment: 7/10

Would read again: 5/10


Comments: I'm glad I read this and I enjoyed it. However without working through my textbook and the activities in there I probably wouldn't have got as much out of reading this as I did, and I think it will be a long time before I try reading it again. Still it was worth having to read it.

Waterstones

No comments:

Post a Comment