Thursday 11 July 2013

52 books update

Week 22

Book Title: Maggie Rowan

Author: Catherine Cookson

Enjoyment: 8/10

Would read again: 8/10


Comments: This Catherine Cookson has a very unlovable heroine. Maggie has few forgiving points to her nature and whilst I felt sorry for her sometimes I rarely liked her. Despite that I enjoyed the book, less people died in it than was normal for a Catherine Cookson. Its one of the thinner books and I did find she skimmed over a lot of the story, it felt almost like there were chunks missing, but overall a good read.

Week 23

Book Title: A sisters promise

Author: Anne Bennett

Enjoyment: 9/10

Would read again: 9/10


Comments: I'm not a big fan of books set around WW1 and WW2, if I'm going to read historical novels I prefer them to be a little bit further back in history. However I'm finding my interest in the period growing and this book was certainly interesting. It helped that part of it was set in Birmingham and the surrounding area which meant that I was reading about places I know which always helps. A good book and one I would certainly read again and recommend to other people.

Week 24

Book Title: Hornblower and the Atropos

Author: CS Forester

Enjoyment: 8/10

Would read again: 9/10


Comments: I grew up reading Alexander Kent books, which means that if I am going to read anything of this style then I am naturally going to compare it to them. I realise Horblower is supposed to be the ultimate hero of this genre but for my part I prefer Richard and Adam Bolitho from the Alexander Kent books. Hornblower irritates me a little.
That said parts of this book had me laughing out loud, the exchanged between Hornblower and his wife at the start of the book were very funny.

Week 25

Book Title: The Happy Return

Author: CS Forester

Enjoyment: 8/10

Would read again: 8/10


Comments: Another Hornblower book and this one had quite an interesting villain in it. Its also when Hornblower meets Lady Barbra. This is where for me I find Forester more difficult to read. At no point does he present Hornblower as someone who would interest Lady Barbara and yet he does.




No comments:

Post a Comment